TESTRITE PATENT THERMAL SHRINKAGE OVEN MK 3 (T.S.10 AB3)
This yarn shrinkage machine was originally designed in conjunction with the Tyre Technical Division of Dunlop Rubber Co. Ltd., to determine the shrinkage of tyre cord yarns at closely controlled temperatures. It has since been modified to enable similar tests to be carried out on 1” wide strips of fabric, as well as yarns, monofilaments etc.
Samples under test are exposed to the controlled air. Temperatures between two 10” wide heated platens, and shrinkage per cent is indicated on a scale. Residual shrinkage can be ascertained by removing the sample from the heated zone and allowing it to cool. A.S.T.M. Designated No. ASTM D5591.
Temperature range is adjustable from ambient to 250° centigrade.
CLICK TO OPEN SPECIFICATION
- The Thermal Shrinkage Oven, Model T.S. 10 AB was originally designed in conjunction with the technical tyre division of Messrs. Dunlop Rubber Co. Ltd., to determine the shrinkage of tyre cord yarn at closely controlled temperature, but it is now being widely used for testing many different kinds of yarns, mono-filaments, polypropylene, nylon, terylene and cotton, also fabrics, etc.
- A new and improved micro processor control unit is now fitted which regulates and controls the heater plates at a very close tolerance of + and – quarter of a degree centigrade, the dial setting range is from 0 to 250° centigrade and the deviation indicator is now an integral part of the control dial unit.
- The yarn/filaments fabric or cord to be tested is mounted on the sliding carriage, the sample being gripped at one end, whilst the other end passes over a delicately balanced take-up drum which carries a pointer set against a calibrated dial. The extreme end of the sample is held by a small nominal clip on a weight to keep it taut during test. (9 gram weight supplied, extra weights supplied upon request.)
- Upon request a heavy duty balancing drum and pointer can be fitted (at extra cost) also extra spring clip on, and ring weights of varying capacities can be supplied. (For users who require to test very heavy yarns, cords, or tapes, etc.)
After mounting the sample and setting the pointer against ZERO on the scale the carriage is pushed forward bringing the test piece to a central position in the air gap between the heated platens, the shrinkage of the sample is indicated by the new position of the pointer on the scale and depending on the density of the sample under test, shrinkage values are obtained within an average of one minute’s exposure to the heat. After this reading has been obtained, the sample can be removed from the heated zone by returning the sliding carriage to its original position and the residual shrinkage can be ascertained on the calibrated dial when the test piece is allowed to cool (being now in the normal air temperature).
- The yarn clamp will hold single thread, heavy cords and tapes up to one inch wide.
- Specially designed heater elements are fitted which give a much greater uniformity of heat temperature in the whole length and width area of the air space between the heater plates, almost eliminating the temperature fall-off at the extreme ends.
- An expanded scale and drum unit can be fitted if requested, which registers up to 48% x two-tenths of 1% shrinkage, this will be found essential when testing yarns or tapes with high shrinkage values. The original scale 0-25% divisions is still fitted as standard, unless otherwise requested.
- An automatic time cycling unit is incorporated. The time cycle being set to automatically switch on a neon light when the quadrant scale unit which carries the yarn, is pushed forward into its proper position between the heater plates, and at the end of the time cycle which is adjustable from 0-10 minutes an audible signal is also incorporated, this addition will be found very useful when an accurate and consistent testing time sequence is necessary.
- The illustration also incorporates a digital readout unit, which gives a continual readout of the exact temperature registered in the air gap of the heater plates, this is found very useful where a continuous visual observation is necessary, when exact and critical temperatures must be observed and maintained.
- The instrument gives a quick and accurate reading for actual and residual shrinkage at given temperatures in all synthetics and mixtures of synthetics and natural yarns and strips of polythene and polypropylene, etc. Customers’ sample yarns can be tested on request for comparison (a minimum of is charged for this service, which will be cancelled upon receipt of firm order), but when this is requested information should also be given on the heat temperature and capacity of tension weights under which the test is to be carried out.
Unless otherwise requested, these instruments are supplied for 220/240 volts 1 ph. 50/60 cycles.
110 volt instruments can be supplied upon request.
- All items as above (with the exception of paragraphs 4 and 8) are incorporated in the standard instrument. Items 4 and 8 will be fitted only upon request at extra cost.
- With each instrument is supplied a copy of the detailed working instructions which gives the operator full details of procedure, also supplied is a manual of the electrical details and system, etc.
- The Testrite Patent Thermal Shrinkage Oven is the only instrument of its kind in the world. Customers requiring also to test Shrinkage Force Measurements on this apparatus should see our separate leaflet.
Approximate shipping weights and measurements:
Packing case: 52 x 50 x 46 cm
Gross Weight: 55lb (25 kg)
Nett Weight: 44lb (20kg)